Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Bringing It All Together 25: The Role of the Counselor E

The Role of the Counselor: What am I responsible for?

This is a great question. At the root of this question are different philosophies about the goal of counseling. What does change in the counseling room look like? If they feel better, have I done my job? And how does being a Christian counselor change things? If I help a person by giving them tools to relieve some of their debilitating symptoms, but I haven't really helped them see the deeper needs of their heart and brought them to Jesus, have I helped them?

This is tricky, especially in an age where insurance companies cover a very limited number of sessions, emphasizing 'quick' solution-focused therapies... Does "A Path to Joy in 4 weeks" sound like the reality of the Christian life?

Here are my thoughts:

As a counselor, you have to remember what you are responsible for. You are a guide along the path, joining a person wherever they are on their journey. Sometimes you get to walk with them for 2 weeks, and sometimes 2 years. Sometimes you see things they are not ready to see, and you might never get there. Sometimes they will be highly resistant and go find someone who will do a 'quicker job.' So If all I get to do is help them develop ways of dealing with high levels of stress, so they can think more clearly and make better decisions, have I failed them?

Surely I wanted to do more than that. Surely I wanted to help them see the roots of their stress reactions. Surely I wanted to help them wrestle with the pain in their stories. Surely I wanted to bring them to see Jesus walking with them in their pain, and bringing them to greater wholeness so they can experience His delight in them, and come to a place of engaging others in a wholehearted way. But that won't always happen.

And that is not my job. My job is to join them on their journey towards wholeness and freedom, for however long the Lord allows. If I can keep that perspective, then I can rejoice where there is change, and I can sorrow when there is resistance... and rest knowing that lasting GROWTH comes from the Lord.

...More tomorrow on "What does Change Look Like?"

No comments: