Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Satisfy Your Soul

Yes, I know it has been 2 weeks since I've written!

We enjoyed an at-home Christmas with Jim's sister, and then traveled down to Texas to be with family for the last week before the girls started school again (today!)

I picked up a book today that I've been intending to read for some time, called Satisfy Your Soul by Bruce Demarest. It's part of the NavPress series on Spiritual Formation. I ordered it during this semester on recommendation from one of my counseling professors, Dr. Zink. During our connection group time we were talking about spiritual life. Dr. Zink shared that during a season of difficult connection with the Lord, he read about a dozen books on spirituality, and this was his top pick in the field.

Dr. Demarest is a long time professor at Denver Seminary and has written a slew of other books, some more recent than this one on the spiritual life. But what I find intriguing in this work is his description of his own journey. He describes the humility of being a seminary professor who didn't much experience the reality of what he taught, and how the joy of discovering ancient practices of Christian spirituality transformed his life and the lives of his students.

Want to read it with me?

1 comment:

Robyn said...

Sounds intriguing and interesting! I might like to read that. Wonder if I can get it for my Nook (e reader).