Friday, January 28, 2011

A New Church Home

6 months in, we've finally settled on a new church home. We are joining The Journey. It is a multi-site church, with several campuses in the Saint Louis area. There is one teaching pastor, Darin Patrick, who teaches (by video) at all the sites. The video thing takes a little getting used to, but this frees up the other campus pastors to minister more fully in their different locations. The first time I heard him speak, (back in August), I said hastily-- "Hon, this is our church." Though we spent several months testing the waters and visiting other places, my hunch was right! I don't mean he's a good speaker. He is that, but not the most polished speaker I've ever heard. His preaching style is a little uncut. But more than that, he is vulnerable, real about his stuff, and brings you to the beauty of the cross--every time.

What do we love about our new church?

It is Christ-centered. When you walk out each week, your eyes are lifted up to Jesus. You DON'T walk out saying, "I'm going to try harder to be holy this week." (See this previous post for more what I mean on this point...) In the morning service, you are brought face-to-face with your sin, face-to-face with grace, and face-to-face with Jesus. Bring me to Jesus!

It is missional. Missional about grace-filled living in community. Missional about reaching the city of Saint Louis and advancing the church in the world. Missional about change and growth, and serving with your gifts. I don't mean they have a long list of ministries you can choose from. It has a feel of urgent gospel living.

We look forward to getting involved in community, and serving!

Here's a link to a sermon, if you'd like to hear Darin for yourself:

www.journeyon.net/west-county. Click on "sermons" and then "How Can I Know God." This was a powerful sermon!

1 comment:

Mike Duncan said...

Found your blog post from a search and I am glad you have found a home at The Journey!