Saturday, December 08, 2007

What a Beautiful Christ!

This morning (as is the case most Saturday's), I got away for a few hours of mommy reflection time. This has been the weekly gift of my beloved husband since we moved to Singapore, and what a wonderful gift it is! It is when I get to think, journal, write, reflect, and unwind. This morning as I was preparing for this week's bible study, I had some new revelations about Christ I had never thought of before, and I thought I'd share them with you. Our study this week is looking at the worship of Christ in heaven in Revelation 5 and 19 and I found some beautiful new insights into the imagery there.

Can I bring you to Jesus this morning, in the spirit of this blog?

--Did you know that in the book of Revelation, it only once calls Christ "the Lion"? (In Rev. 5:6); But 31 times, He is called "Lamb". It seems that John wants us to know that throughout all eternity, Christ will be primarily known by His sacrifice for us.

--In Rev. 7:9-14, it mentions that the multitude standing before the throne have palm branches in their hands. Did you know that the only other time palm branches are mentioned in the Bible is in John (same author as Rev.) during the Triumphal Entry when Christ rides into Jerusalem? You can picture John making the connection--His first entry on a meek and lowly donkey; But this an eruption of unabashed, delightful, continual worship.

--In Rev. 19 when the elders and creatures fall down and worship Christ, these are the same words that are said of the wisemen who fell down and worshiped the baby Jesus. It is also said (the fall down part!) in this scene in the Garden of Gethsemane "Jesus went forth (to the soldiers) and said to them, "Whom do you seek?" They answered Him, "Jesus the Nazarene." He said to them, "I am He."... and they drew back and fell to the ground." John remembers this scene: the power of His presence!

--There is only one place in Revelation where we hear the exhortation to "rejoice and be glad", at the marriage celebration of the Lamb. The only other time John mentions these words are in John 16, where Jesus addresses the disciples who are saddened by His immanent departure. Can you hear John making the connection? He is saying that THIS scene in Revelation is the picture Christ is painting of a future time when their joy will not be taken away. We don't have it fully yet, do we?? But YOU AND I ARE THERE in Rev. 19 if we are in Christ-- It is coming!

I can only think of one thing to say: What a beautiful Christ!

2 comments:

meh said...

Wow...those are some great connections to meditate on!! "A thrill of hope, a weary world rejoices."

Anonymous said...

I have a beautiful Savior and a beautiful wife!

Jim