Friday, December 14, 2007

First Ski!

This is a week of firsts! Ellie's first snow; Kathryn's first ski! After a week of meetings and development activities with friends, we all went skiing for the day. Surprisingly, there are ski-able mountains, just an hour north of us. Who knew?? Ellie was too young, (She and Jim went tobagganing --Jim says he would ski but for his ankle incident last month) but I took Kathryn and together we did ski school. Things were a little sketchy at the beginning, (as K cried though bitter tears, ever the emotionally-aware child, "mommy, my HEART feels like QUITTING!") but she persevered and didn't give up. Way to go K!

For me, I went skiing multiple times during high school and college. Trying to count... at least 4 I specifically remember, maybe 5 or 6? (My dad would remember.) But the last of those times was... now let's count again but it will take me longer this time... 14 years ago! Wow! It doesn't feel like that much time has passed. But as soon as I got going again, I had so much fun! I loved it! K had enough, and I left the girls behind and took off for the slopes. Felt like I was in college again!

One of the selling points as I was trying to encourage K to keep going was that she had cool rainbow skis. It worked. This instructor was really great with her! The language wasn't even a problem, as K discovered there are certain 'international ski symbols' (Look of sheer terror means, "Oh no! I'm going to crash!") that work all around the world! :)















Look at her go!










Such fun for both of us!



















Not bad for what you may expect in China, huh?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hon,

I love your quotes and wonderings on the last two posts.

Love,
Jim

meh said...

That is so great to get to document her first ski experience. And I love her quote...I have never said that before, but I have felt that before!! My first ski experience was in highschool and I must say that I am so glad there wasn't a camera around!!