Saturday, January 31, 2009

Good Books & Chocolate

Is there a better combo than these two in all the world?

This week I got that itchy feeling... that "I've GOT to get out of here" feeling. Not "I've got to get out of CHINA...just the "I've got to get out of my apartment and its immediate 1 mile radius within which I normally live 95% of my life" feeling.

If there's one thing I love doing most with my girls, it is reading books together. There is almost nothing I enjoy spending money on more than buying books for my girls. So I decided to take them downtown to "Walking Street" to the Foreign Language Bookstore and then out for a special treat.

First-- the bookstore. It has something AWESOME that you can't find just about anywhere else in this city-- great English children's books. (And bonus--during the holiday, everything in the store is 12% off!) We took the elevator up to the 3rd floor where the doors open to the children's section-- Kathryn shouts Woah, mom! Ellie gasps as if she's seen a ghost. I had the same reaction when I first checked out this store. They have rows and rows of readers, excellent picutre books and lots of educational materials. But when I saw the whole shelf of Caldecott and Newberry winners, I about fell over. Living overseas certainly has made good children's literature a precious thing to them--score!

Along the street were plenty of Chinese New Year decorations and so I snapped a fun shots... (The Year of the Ox)


































And the big treat? At the end of the street is an Outback Steakhouse where Jim and I went to dinner once last year on our anniversary. Since that night the girls have heard of the fabled "Chocolate Thunder from Down Under" and this was their turn. This image is a bit fuzzy, but could I have captured better expressions?















The smile says it all!

2 comments:

Gina Marie said...

We used to go to that bookstore a lot! The kids thought it was the library. When we started going to actual libraries, they were excited that they got more than one book, but disappointed that they had to return them.

There used to be a Rainforest Cafe down there - so fun! Glad to hear the Outback is still going strong. We'll look forward to that.

meh said...

I love the expression of wonder/delight/desire on their face. (I think that is what I look like when I order it!) What a fun day of books and chocolate!