Thursday, January 29, 2009

Closing Thoughts on Joy

This “joy nugget” series began as a desire to take some of the best fodder from our Bible study and put it in a more “devotional form.” I have no idea how many of you followed me though this series, but it has been a good review for me! I saved some of the stories and examples for the study itself, because I can’t put everything on the blog. But some have asked me, Tracie, what are you taking away? What did He impress on your heart during this study?


OK, I’ll share:) These are the things fixed on my heart—the things I don’t have to consult my notes for…


*I had one fear going into writing this study: I thought, What if I study all about joy, and find at the end that I have no more of it? I found a curious thing as I wrote this study this semester. At times there was a great disconnect. A delight in the discoveries of joy in the Scriptures, and a lack of seeming fruit in my heart and state of mind. At the same time I was uncovering “nuggets of joy” that unfolded in a wonderful study for our local community, it seemed the Lord was also uncovering several things in my own heart that tend to steal joy. Though I know my own danger of too much introspection, sometimes the path to joy travels some pretty rocky “heart-terrain.” If I don’t see the pitfalls, then I can’t find the way. Part of His love for us is seen in his pursuing our hearts to free us from those things that steal our affections away from Himself. (Repeat to self: Is He driving a hammer over my head? It is love, it is love, it is love!)


*But just seeing things that steal joy is not enough. Yes, it gets me further down the path, but only enough to say, “Well, there I go again…” So, I believe in a more heart-felt way that cultivating joy is a fight. The truths that cause my heart to be centered and fixed upon joy in Jesus don’t just “happen”. They must be fought for. I forget. I sin. I grow weary. I get sick. I get self-centered. I lose focus. I need to soak my mind and my heart in what is true. I need to ask Him (over and over and every day) to work in me what only He can do. I need to need to be reminded, encouraged, preached to, exhorted, challenged. I need you. And you need me.


*Joy is in Jesus. Why do I say this again? It has been fixed upon my heart in deeper ways. Even though the ‘topic’ of our study is “joy”, I found that my heart was most delighted when I saw the clear intersection of JOY & JESUS. He is the leader who pursues our joy. He is the giver of ecstatic joy. He is the One who shows us how to face the traumas of this life with the joy set before us. He is the One who makes me stand blameless and full of joy in His presence. He is the joyful King whose dominion is from sea to sea! He is the initiator… pursuer… giver… example… bridge... tutor… means… goal… and object of our joy!


"Let all who seek You rejoice and be glad in You. Let those who love you say continually, "Let GOD be magnified!"

No comments: