Thursday, January 22, 2009

As the Stomach Turns

Perhaps some of you are asking... How much longer is this joy series going to go on? :) I didn't script it out, but now that it's finished there are 50 all together. So, soon. If I had it to write over again, I would have added the stories along with the "nuggets", but I just don't have time for that!

Wallace household update: Jim returned from Korea on Sunday night with a little bug. His lasted an intense but relatively short window. K felt a bit queasy 2 days ago, so I assumed her turn was over. Then last night at 4am, Ellie started throwing up. Want details? She threw up 15 times today. I changed out her clothes, sheets, and blankets 8 times. (You'd think we could have developed a bit faster reaction time throughout the day, but no.)

Tonight we had a "Soup Party" at a friends' house. Perfect day for it--the coldest yet this winter. A sort of "welcome to the neighborhood" party for a few new families, altogether 8 families who work with us in the same general area. My sweet hubby volunteered to stay home with Ellie so I took Kathryn with me. Kathryn told me her tummy hurt, but then in pursuit of dessert, said it didn't. But then when I told her she had to eat her soup if she wanted dessert, well, it hurt again. And then when I said that if it hurt, we should go home, it was another miraculous recovery.

Again, a bit faster reaction time (mommy's mental clock at least) would have been helpful. She threw up ALL OVER the elevator on the way out. Yes, the elevator that all of the other 7 families would also shortly be using. And what can I do? A sick & crying child. A pot of soup. 8 degrees outside. I leave the mess. So gross, I know. (But I did ask my friend to call the housekeeping people, so maybe they took care of it shortly after??)

When I got home, I threw all Kathryn's clothes in the wash. Water line is frozen solid as the washer is out on the balcony... In fact, the balcony window is frozen open too... (you have to keep the window open to vent the dryer) This has happened before at very inopportune times... It will probably thaw out tomorrow afternoon.

So, all the little ones are bedded down for the night. Will they sleep? Will mom and dad sleep? Will there be more laundry? And when will the washer thaw out? (I already have 4 loads spilling over the basket in the kitchen I have already decided to leave till tomorrow--what's one more?) Will mom have to pay her dues with the stomach bug? Will we have infected all 7 other families in our little community with this dastardly bug?

Yes, welcome to the neighborhood indeed!

No comments: