Saturday, December 27, 2008

Joy Nugget #18: Hannah on Joy I

Before you dismiss this familiar story, did you know these things about Hannah? You remember the story--the mother of the prophet Samuel, who sent her only son to serve in the temple around age 3? After God enables her to conceive she promises she will send him to serve God in the temple after He is weaned. But did you know…


-Hannah’s story takes place at the end of the period of the judges, a time when “everyone did what was right in his own eyes.” The city where Hannah’s family goes to worship is the city where the cut-off tribe of the Benjamites found wives by kidnapping women celebrating at a local festival there.


-The two primary priests at the temple in Shiloh where Hannah’s family worshiped were Eli’s sons, Hophni and Phinehas. They were known for forcefully stealing sacrifices and employing temple prostitutes. Their actions were so evil that the Lord desired to put them to death.

So imagine you are a woman alive at this time. The city where you come to worship is known for violent acts against women. How safe do you feel? The men who will be in the temple where you are about to send your son are dishonest and abusive. What are you going to do? You really going to send him?


Well, as a mother of young children, let me tell you what my prayers would sound like.

“OK, Lord, here it is…time to take my baby to the temple. I know I promised, and I really did mean it. And I really was going to do it…but now? Surely you don’t want me to send him there. You wouldn’t ask me to send him to live among those evil men, would you? I’m just acting on my God-given motherly instincts, here—that is just not a good environment for a little one… I’ll keep him safe here with me till things look at bit more secure.”


What would your prayers sound like?

No comments: