Monday, December 22, 2008

Joy Nugget #13: The "Me" in Finding Joy

So we see clearly joy comes from God, but do “I” play any role in it?

In Psalm 42, we see the writer fighting for joy. Take a peek:

“These things I remember and I pour out my soul within me. For I used to go along with the throng and lead them in procession to the house of God,

With the voice of joy and thanksgiving, a multitude keeping festival. Why are you in despair, O my soul? And why have you become disturbed within me? Hope in God, for I shall again praise Him. For the help of His presence.”

-He is talking to Himself. The popular counseling term is “self-talk.” It has been around for centuries! But what is He saying?

-He is remembering. Reminding himself of God’s past faithfulness as he waits for restoration.

-He is rehearsing the promises of God.

-He is making choices. He is choosing to trust when he does not see or feel.

-He is waiting expectantly. He knows God will ‘show up’ again.

We all talk to ourselves :) But when you’re talking, what are you saying?

No comments: