Wednesday, December 03, 2008

December Tomatoes

Devoted followers of this blog have been waiting at the edge of your seats for a report since the last post about the tomatoes. As novices in the growing-your-own-produce department, we planted them in June. Very loyal friends cared for them during two long trips this summer and we expected our fruit by about September. When the temps began dropping in October without the slightest signs of growth, I told Kathryn we could bring them in from the balcony and nurse them awhile longer. Then we saw flowers. Fruit coming! 12 flowers--that should have made for 12 tomatoes, elementary plant biology, right? SLOW, SLOW, SLOW. A couple of green balls started forming...but then they stopped. Then when the heat kicked on in mid-November, some of the branches got a little to close to the radiator. Oops. After a whole month went by with no seeming growth, I told Kathryn that we probably weren't going to be able to keep them much longer. (The vines are spilling over Jim's favorite chair.) Tears and persistence swayed me-- I promised her we could wait a couple more weeks.

Then, all of a sudden, it happened! When I had given up hope, one little bud turned from green to yellow to orange and red, and we had ONE whole tomato that was ready to eat! In December, next to the Christmas tree! With much pomp and celebration, we picked, washed, cut and ate it...Well, at least K and I did... Ellie came over and said, "It's a tomato," and tootled off back to her dolly.
Here they are--two more still green. I couldn't believe it tasted like a tomato!













The Proud Gardener


















And aren't you also glad to know K's tonsils are looking good! :)

















After we finished our experiment, K told me, "Mom, now that I've taken care of tomatoes and fish, it's kinda boring now. I really need more of a challenge."

1 comment:

meh said...

That was one loved tomatoe plant!!! How fun that it actually bore fruit!! I wonder what "challenge" she will want next...bananna tree maybe?! Good luck!