Sunday, September 28, 2008

Blessings of Past and Present Community

Yesterday I was feeling in the need for input. Someone to remind me what is true and encourage me; Someone to bring me to Jesus. This is what community is for, right? I need you, and you need me?

Since Jim just returned Fri. from his latest trip, I took a longer than normal get away at a nearby Starbucks and looked around online for some good sermons that fit the bill. The two I found reminded me of the blessings of communities we have been a part of in the past...

Allen and Tracy Taha were not married yet when we first got to know each other at TCU. I was just a freshman when I got involved with the same student group they were a part of on campus. They were two and three years older respectively, and since we had no staff at that time, they were student leaders of our group. Lacking knowledge but full of zeal, I was puddy in their hands running with any suggestions and trying all kinds of new ideas towards meeting students in the dorms. After pastoring a church in Nebraska for 4 years, they returned to Texas to pastor a PCA plant in Boerne, TX. As they did so many years ago, Allen lifted my eyes up to Jesus again yesterday in this worshipful sermon.

Wayne and Debbie Smith were the Sunday School leaders for our young marrieds class at our church in Dallas. We had only been involved with the class for about 6 months when Hannah was born. Wayne and Debbie came to the hospital multiple times and organized an entire barrage of support on our behalf--meals, mowing our lawn, mobilizing prayer updates. I still remember the dinner we shared in our home days after her death. If you know Wayne and Debbie, you know they are passionate people, and they are passionate about people. He is an elder at a different church now, and gave this wonderful sermon, ironically, about the power of community and our shared unity in Christ.

If you are looking for someone to lift your eyes up today, you might enjoy one or both of these. You will be blessed.

No comments: