Sunday, September 28, 2008

Imagine the Outrage

On the way to catch a taxi to church this morning, I saw children wearing their backpacks on the way to school. And then I remembered that today is a substitute school day for the upcoming holiday. October 1st is like July 4th in the US, and kids get the whole week off. But they have to go to school Saturday and Sunday. Now in my American mindset, killing your weekend for the sake of a weekday holiday totally defeats the purpose. But I don't live among Americans!

When I learned about it this week, I teased Kathryn, "Now on Saturday and Sunday, you'll have make-up school days." "I want to go! I want to go!" Shocked, I asked her, "Really?" "Yes, mommy! We're going to put on make-up?" Ah, be very careful the words you use to explain things to your children.

Could you imagine the outrage if they had substitute school days in the US on Saturdays and Sundays?? Can you imagine the parent protests with picketing signs in front of the school? But here, there are no protests. I guess you can do that in a Communist country!

No comments: