Monday, September 22, 2008

Morning Sounds of China

It's a great morning here in China and I had to share it with you. I don't think I've ever done this before, but today I opened my windows--on purpose. The skies are clear blue and its about 55 degrees. Downstairs below me the streets are bustling with activity. The restaurant employees are standing at attention like tin soldiers for their morning inspection. Next to the restaurant door the daily food has just been delivered--mounds of veggies, noodles, and chickens with their feet sticking up. The 'mini-farm' across the street is primed for harvest with corn stalks, tomatoes and collard greens just days from picking. Our favorite "egg pancake" lady has her griddle fired up for breakfast customers. Everyone is on their way to work...businessmen on the subway in suits, and farmers in the back of horse-drawn carriages hauling produce to the market. Every4 minutes, the subway train whizzes by. In the distance, the girls' pre-school is playing their morning exercise songs. Two groups of dancers are practicing tai-qi with swords and fans by the fountain.

The best part is that I just dropped the girls off at school, and I have three hours to write!

No comments: