Monday, July 07, 2008

Romantic Kafuffle

WARNING: This post is a bit girly :)

During some of the evenings here in our home-away-from-home, we've been checking out the movie selections of our friends. I've been wisked back to Junior High with the discovery of the Anne of Green Gables series. I admit it. As a young teenager I devoured the 8 Lucy Maud Montgomery novels before the mini- series premiered. Watching it again, I suppose that a huge percentage of all my young ideas about romance came straight from these books. I wanted to be just like Anne, intelligent and witty, right down to the flowing red hair. Was there ever a more daring and clever maiden than Anne Shirley? Or a more dashing and valiant young bachelor than Gilbert Blythe?

OK, be honest. Don't you think my Jim looks just like Gilbert? And don't you think Jim & I had a fairy-tale romance of the Anne and Gilbert scale?

To digress for a moment...
Among the many impressions watching it this time around, I found this one rather humorous... I have long had in my head a vocabulary word--kafuffle. In my mind, it meant something like "I'm in a bad fix (kafuffle)" or "get me out of this mess (kafuffle)!" I never knew where it came from, and I never found anyone who didn't give me a strange look when I used it. And then there it was. Remember the scene where Anne sells Mrs. Lynde's Jersey cow instead of her own, and she and Marilla go to apologize? Marilla comes to the door and confesses, "It appears that some sort of...kafuffle has come our way." I couldn't believe it. Anne even passed along some of her "high-fluting" vocabulary.

Out of curiosity, I looked it up. And it is a real word. So says the online Merriam Webster dictionary, it means "disorder or commotion". Also spelled gefuffle, cerfuffle, or kurfuffle. Here is your vocabulary lesson for today.

Back to the romance. My thought this time around: Why in the world did it take Anne so long to realize she loved him? I've never known anyone who was so confused and so unable to identify her own desires. It's completely obvious they are destined for each other, the minute he calls her 'carrots' and she breaks the slate over his head in grade school! I have to admit I replayed the final scene over the bridge several times. But don't worry, my beloved... (Here I'd like to put our new vocabulary word to use.) Even though our romance was nothing short of a massive kafuffle, I would choose you over Gilbert any day!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I need a little more background on the Jim and Tracie kafuffle - sounds like that story is worthy of an 8 volume set, as well!

Tracie said...

Kelli, perhaps our story would make a good mini-series as well. Maybe at least a blog-series. I've never written it down, but it probably should be done before some of the finer details are lost from my memory forever. I'll think on it... :)