Sunday, January 06, 2008

Our friend Lily

I have the privilege of writing from a Starbucks tonight during "date night". (Why, do you ask, did I bring my computer, and what am I doing writing a blog during date night? Well, it's a 'working date'. It's OK-- we have a big conference coming up and I don't feel ditched by my husband's work load.) Back to Starbucks. I think this company is poised to take over the world. The napkin by my drink informs me that there are 52 locations in the city where I live. By the milk and sugar counter they have a map to all 52 locations, telling me which are located most conveniently by which subway stops, as well as how to say all the drinks I may want to buy in Chinese. My only beef with Starbucks in Asia is that I cannot buy a Toffee Nut Latte one moment past midnight on January 1st. But I will recover.

Today we had lunch with a couple from a couple who leads worship at our church. They are English (which they clarified is the same thing as British, unless you are Welsh, Scottish, or Irish and want to make a point of the distinction.) They work in a Chinese foster home here, which takes in orphans who have significant medical needs requiring surgery. They find these children the medical help they need and care for them until they are well enough to be adopted. I LOVED hearing about what they do! There is something in my heart that really resonates with this type of ministry even though it is so different from what we do. It was a delight to get to know this couple and I was again drawn to thank God that we get to meet so many different people from all over the world who are serving the Body of Christ in such gloriously diverse ways.

One of the programs they helped organize through our church is similar to "Operation Christmas Child" that you have in the US. The only difference is that we bought presents for a particular child from a particular orphanage here in China. Now we have "Lily's" picture on our refrigerator and the girls and I often talk about what life must be like for Lily. I love that my girls don't just know about the concept of orphans in a country far away, but that they know and pray for one little girl who in many ways is just like them. One day after we began these discussions, I went into Kathryn's room after rest time. She had all her stuffed animals lined up in rows with blankets and pillows. I asked her what she was doing, and she informed me that all these animals didn't have mommies and daddies, and she was taking care of them. Then she asked me, "Mommy, do you think that might be something I could do when I grow up?" My jaw dropped. You can't buy this kind of education! After we get back from our conference, I'm hoping to put a plan in the works to go visit Lily!

2 comments:

meh said...

What a precious thing for your daughter. Her heart is obviously touched and how fun for you to get to see how God will use it in the coming years!!

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!