Friday, January 11, 2008

K's performance

I had another opportunity this week to observe Kathryn's class at school, and it was very enlightening. I suppose in many ways it's just like any other pre-school anywhere in the world. Just like in every other country of the world, proud parents (me included) waited with charged camera batteries excited to see their little ones don the stage.













Kathryn was given front-row, center-stage in the "English class" portion of the performance. Of course she didn't need a lot of encouragement to state her English alphabet, various fruits and vegetables, and modes of transportation. She rather enjoyed acting like a HAM with all eyes upon her as they danced their little English drama.













The mood shifted a bit on her face as we shifted from English to Chinese class. They pretended to be visiting a zoo, stating the names of various animals and other zoo words in Chinese. When the tables were turned, the star of the English performance sat back and chatted with her little English speaking friend. But even for mommy, after having the vocabulary drilled for half an hour, I still can't remember how to say "giraffe" and "aardvark" in Chinese.














You know that little game on Sesame Street where they sing "One of these things is not like the other"? I kept wondering if K feels that she looks much different than the other children. And yet, despite all odds and oddities, somehow she danced right alongside them and didn't think twice about it. You go girl.




3 comments:

meh said...

Good for her!!! And note to self: if I need to say Aarkvark in Chinese do not come to you for that info.

Tracie said...

Yes, and there are many other words you should also not consult me about!

Anonymous said...

I can relate to Kathryn. My sister and I grew up as the only Chinese in all white schools, until high school where there were 4 of us. Yes, I got teased and harassed by the other kids. My parents never made an issue about it and focused on raising us right, and being successful at school. K will do just fine. Anyway, she has Jesus to help her :)