Thursday, January 03, 2008

Fisher Price Theology

I just started reading through the Bible again this year, and so far, I'm on track! Today rereading the flood account, I'm thinking that our Fisher Price Noah's ark set just really doesn't cut it. Here's a couple of thoughts/questions for the engaging kind.

-We think he was on the ark for 40 days-- NO! He was on there for a year and 17 days-- yes, that's 382 days. And a whole week before the first drop of rain! If the rain was the exciting part, Noah and the fam called the ark home for another 10 months after the rain stopped. And, he waited another month plus after the earth was totally dried up... until the day God said, "Go out of the ark." Can you imagine? What do you think they did about the waste problem alone?

-Why do you think God destroyed the animals too? I suppose that means that fish survived?

-Seems there were possibly no carnivores until after the flood. At least God doesn't tell people they can eat meat until after the flood. Hmmmm...I'll throw that one in for free.

The other day when we were playing with Noah's ark, we inevitably had some of the manger scene characters mixed in. (The Fisher Price manger scene was a gift from Aunt Julie when we first moved to Singapore--amazing we still have all the pieces!) The baby Jesus, Mary, the camel, and wiseman or two, were thrown in alongside the two zebras, a lone parrot, and Mrs. Noah. I thought "Hmmm. Baby Jesus in the ark... " I made a comment as Jim walked in the room. And then he added, "Well really, Jesus IS the ark." OK, he trumped me. Who says Fisher Price can't promote good theology?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it was in "Blue like Jazz" where the author said that the Noah's Ark story really shouldn't be a kid's story, because there is a whole lot of death and destruction that goes on. Interesting point about the animals - I wonder what they did wrong??

meh said...

Perhaps the number of land animals would have overpowered the small number of humans and so it was really part of the protection of righteous Noah and his family. Hearing you talk about playing Noah's ark with your kids makes me a little sad...my kids are past that age now. But please don't tell me I have grandkids to look forward to, because I am so not ready to go there yet!!

Tracie said...

OK, so I asked Jim what he thought last night, and he said he thought it wasn't that the animals did something wrong, but that the animals were a part of the effects of the curse like everything else He created, so He was wiping the whole slate clean again--almost the whole slate at least. So go the ponderings of Jim Wallace :)