Sunday, November 11, 2007

Smoke and more smoke

Before I begin, I want to affirm, I DO love China. But like any country (even my own) there are some less-than-desirables. I mention this one now only to ask you to pray!

Kathryn noticed it out her bedroom window one afternoon at rest time. "Mommy-- quick! It's smoke! And more smoke!" I believe that day was a test run, but now we have this permanent feature. Here is the plummet of smoke cresting high a mere 100 yards out our apartment window! I believe that I have the government heating to credit for this smokestack. (Though I AM thankful for the heat!) It lay (lied? laid?) dormant all summer, and I had a sneaking suspicion that it would fire up in the winter. Somehow it does make me feel better that it is, after WHITE smoke coming out of the top. But if you peer carefully below you can barely see a large tractor funneling COAL into a huge furnace.

Why do I report such atrocities? Because this weekend I have been laid (lain? laying?) up with my 5th sinus infection in 4 months. This one has been a real booger! (Sorry, I have booger’s on the brain, not only from my sinus infection, but because I just had a conversation with my daughter about why it is that we don’t pick our noses, and how to properly dispose of boogers. Incidentally, this is hard to do when you have a sinus infection. And now this post is getting way too graphic…) Any of you who know me well and my sordid sinus history are not surprised, but even this is far too often for comfort-- and normal life functioning!

So please pray. Since this is the place where God has called us, and my home will be here extendedly, please pray that I will find ways to stay healthy here!

No comments: