Wednesday, September 26, 2007

To Molly Piper

This morning I received in my inbox my usual article from Desiring God ministries. I find Piper's writings to be full of Christ-centered thoughts that draw my heart to worship. Today, the article was entitled "What I said at my granddaughter's funeral". (You can click on this link for the article: www.desiringgod.org/ResourceLibrary/TasteAndSee/ByDate/2007/2406_What_I_Said_at_My_Granddaughters_Funeral) My heart sank, but I was drawn to read it like a magnet. Piper's son and daughter-in-law Abraham and Molly just lost their second child, Felicity, born still-born September 22 full term.

I had only made it one paragraph into the article when Kathryn came over and asked,
"Mommy, why are you crying?"
"I just read something sad, sweety."
"What was it mommy?"
"Mommy just read about another mommy who lost her baby, like your sister Hannah."
"Mommy, do you know her name so we could meet her?"
"Kathryn, if we met her, what would you want to say?"
"We should give her a hug and tell her that Jesus will take care of her."

This morning, Molly Piper, my 4 year old Kathryn sends this message to you. And with her comes the hope that God will bless you with more children, and they will bear the beautiful fruit of your loss.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am wiping the tears from my eyes, as well. I can't understand how losing a child works in God's big plan and I don't know how you recover from that loss. I wonder sometimes whether couples who don't have children are better off - they are missing out on so much joy and love, but they will also never know the ever-present worry and fear that comes with being a parent.

Anonymous said...

Kathryn, wise beyond your years. It's so encouraging to see you loving and trusting Jesus at four years old. How precious you are!
love,
wendy

ps Sarah and I were reading your Mommy's letter and talking about memories from Dallas today. She brought up her memory of another one of your letters which told the story of the funny monkeys stealing your sippy cup while you were strolling in the park. She LOVES reading about you and your family and what you are learning. We are praying for you to learn Chinese quickly and enjoy your school friends!