Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Joy Looks Like...

Thought #4 about Joy: Joy looks like...

Ps. 98:4-8: Shouting, breaking forth, singing, playing instruments; the roaring of the sea; the surging of the river; the singing of the mountains (can you hear it?)

Ps. 84:2- The hungering of a heart for God-- a physical & emotional yearning (do you feel it?)

Ps. 149- Bubbling over, singing, dancing... (are your feet light?)

So many verses beyond the Psalms...

I'm so struck that joy is so...physical! Loud, unashamed, breaking loose, bubbling over, shouting out... When is the last time you danced for joy to the Lord? No, my conservative tradition doesn't usually encourage this expression. And I'm not usually the shouting out, dancing , jumping up and down kind. (Though I do practice this some with my children!) But these verses indicate He delights in this...

Let's ask Him to give our hearts affections that find expressions commensurate with His majesty as we seek to rejoice in Him!

Here is Ellie's commentary on these verses:













































































1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for these comments, Tracie. Glad for the reminder that it's okay to have an emotional response to the majesty of God and His work around us. I miss "yearning" for Him...like when too much time passes between me and the reading of His Word, I dull and "forget" how wonderful (understatement!) His Truth is, how exciting it is to read and apply to my life. I was glad for the verses you shared as they convicted me that I haven't rejoiced and delighted in His Word enough recently!
appreciatively,
wendy :)