Tuesday, August 31, 2010

This Semester's Fun

You were starting to think I only had picture updates, right?

So here's what I'm thinking about the blog this year. My school schedule is very full time, but I'd love to use the blog to process snippets of information, new ideas, quotes, and questions I'm asking myself throughout my studies. If you want to follow along, here are the classes and books I'm reading this semester--

God & His Word- (I really liked this prof! He is just what you'd (or at least I'd) expect a good theology prof to be. Spent the whole first class talking about how to read a book and think reflectively about what you read. Might sound boring-- it was excellent!)

Proper Confidence- Lesslie Newbigin
Epic of Eden- The Epic of Eden
Far as the Curse is Found- Michael Williams
The Mission of God- Christopher Wright
Creation Regained- Al Wolters

Intro to Counseling- this is the one class I haven't had; it meets for the first time today. This prof, Dr. Richard Winter, first got his MD, spent years at L'Abri in Switzerland... then became a counseling prof. I'm sure there's details I'm missing, but very unique combination! Very intrigued by all the angels he is hitting- medicine, spirituality, counseling...love the combo.

Pastor’s Guide to Psychological Disorders and Treatments- Johnson/Johnson
Strategic Pastoral Counseling-
Benner
Healing Path-
Allender
Perfecting Ourselves to Death-
Winter
Emotionally Healthy Spirituality- Scazzero

Marriage & Family Counseling- (this class is taught by Dr. Dan Zink, who has his own counseling practice. I could tell in class 1-- I'm really going to like this guy's style. Very life application and story oriented; very heart-engaging and wise.)

Extraordinary Relationships- R. Gilbert
Hold Me Tight-
Sue Johnson
Take Back Your Marriage-
W. Doherty
Safe Haven Marriage-
A. Hart & S Hart Morris
What am I Feeling?- J. Gottman
A Family Genogram Workbook-
I Galindo

Educational & Psychological Measurements- (this class is about the purpose and how to of using assessment tests to guide you as a counselor in learning about clients. After being exposed to LEAF and with all the assessment tools we use in our company, I'm really excited to learn about these tools... aside from the mathematical statistics part! This prof is in his 70's and has been an LPC all his life. So perfect for this class- he is actually passionate about the development of tests.)

Essentials of Testing & Assessment: A Practical Guide for Counselors- Neukrug

Sense and Sexuality
- (this class is a weekend course in October so I don't know much about it yet.)

Sexuality and Holy Longing, McMinn
Soul Virgins, Rosenau/Wilson

If any of these topics/books/readings, etc... interest you, join in the discussion!

So excited to dive in!

No comments: