Tuesday, November 25, 2008

What I'm Breathing

I just found this really interesting website that has great info about China air quality. I'm sure none of you are as interested in this as I am, but there is a great 6 minute video with fabulous photography that gives the best treatment I've come across. There is also a daily measure of pollutants.

And I kept wondering--how do they measure the pollution? Question answered:

Air pollution index (API), published by China’s Ministry of Environmental Protection, is derived from measurements of five pollutants: Sulfur Dioxide, Nitrogen Dioxide, PM10, Carbon Monoxide and Ozone. The average concentration for each pollutant is calculated daily and the concentration of the pollutant with the highest API (0-500) will become that day’s major pollutant, recorded as that day’s API figure. In Beijing, PM10–particulate matter 10 microns or smaller–is the major pollutant most days.

The only part I don't know if I buy is the part that claims 246 "blue sky days" recorded in 2007!

2 comments:

Gina Marie said...

I think 150 days were before you moved there.

Tracie said...

Ha!