Thursday, October 02, 2008

Treadmill of Life

You know how I mentioned last week that the treadmill guy finally repaired our broken machine? Well, I confess I haven't touched the thing a bit since then. And I have to confess that if it had not been broken, it might have still sat there unloved. But tonight, I decided it was time...if only for the sake of my new shoes.

When I was in the US, I found these awesome running shoes. They are the most comfortable shoes I think I've ever worn. I had returned another pair and happened across this hidden gem on the sales rack. I asked the sales clerk, "Are these any good? I've never heard of this brand." "Saucony is world famous for their running shoes, mam." "Yes, and I'm a world famous athlete", I wanted to say.

So tonight, I got out my ipod and downloaded another talk for the run. (It wasn't that great as the two I mentioned in the last post, so I won't tell you what it was.) I had been up and rolling for about 10 seconds when I noticed that the celophane wrapper was still on the digital display. You know the lovely shine when you first pull that plastic off? I had to do it. But when I peeled the wrapper off, the emergency shut off knob flew off with it.

Apparently, it disappeared into thin air. I got down on my hands and knees, peering into every crevice of the balcony. I mean, it's a big red thing, for heaven's sake! Do you know that I looked for that darn thing for 20 minutes before I found it? (You're dying to know where it was, aren't you? It is a magnetic switch-- stuck to the metal side of the machine.) Who wants to run after all that work?

Do you ever feel like that in your spiritual life? You had great intentions and you started well but your joy flew off the treadmill like someone pulled the emergency shut off button? I have felt that way this week. So I'm curious--in those times, what do you do?

I did, by the way, get back on the treadmill.

No comments: