Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Beyond Milk and Meanness

At our study last week, my friend Karen asked,
"What is one thing you want to find joy in this week?"

I said...Lately, I see I can become so easily ruffled when disruptions come to my schedule...things that I perceive as enemies to the accomplishment of my goals and commitments! (anyone else out there gonna give me an Amen?)... and want to rejoice in Him, no matter what 'distractions' He has designed for my day...yes, that is what I said.

Saturday night. Sunday night. Monday night. Tuesday night. Wednesday night. Worst cough I've ever had--No matter what I do, I can't go to sleep!

What if you're really, really tired, Tracie? Can you find joy in me?


Monday morning. My helper comes to my house to tell me she has to go back to her hometown for the month. This lady is a God-send who blesses me in numerous ways... especially with the gift of time.

What if you have no helper, Tracie? Can you rejoice in me?


Tuesday morning. The girls' school imposes arbitrary rule #1: Half-day students come from 9-12am. Previous to this rule, Jim has begun taking the girls to school at 8am. They do much better when daddy takes them to school... But he can't leave for work that late. And another 5 hours shaved off my 'productivity' table for the week.

What if you 'lose' more time, Tracie? Can you turn your eyes to me?


Wednesday, noon. I pick the girls up from school, and they tell me their teachers didn't feed them lunch. Arbitrary rule #2: Half-day students don't get lunch. In other words, your kid sits there while we feed everyone else lunch.

What if your kids are being treated poorly, Tracie? Can you still find joy in me?


It's late. We're out of milk. I make a special trip to the grocery store for milk. NO MILK. The store is plum out of milk. How can a grocery store not have milk? Yes, there truly is a conspiracy against me. One other little thing they don't carry at our grocery store--JOY!

Friday morning. We make an arrangement to meet with the principal, but she doesn't show. She doesn't call. She has no intention of speaking with us. I can't begin to tell you how unreasonable and how unprofessional this lady has been.

How about now? Even in these circumstances, can you rejoice in me?


NO, Lord! She's a MEAN LADY who is STEALING my JOY!

I had to draw the line at blatant meanness.

So glad Jesus didn't.

...fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and protector of faith, who for the joy set before Him, endured the cross, scorning the shame, and sat down at the right hand of God.

That's powerful stuff.

3 comments:

Gina Marie said...

Great post Tracie! I find that whenever I am tempted to lose my joy, I go back to Habakkuk 3:17-18 and fill in my own blanks, like, "Though I am severely allergic to my apartment, and my husband travels too much, though the UV index is too high for us to go outside, and we're isolated here in this condo . . . yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will be joyful in God my Savior." I did this a LOT last year. :)

Anonymous said...

i'm with you, my love. jim

Anonymous said...

what a week! i'm thinking learning about joy is like learning about patience...one of those scary prayer requests in which you get challenged in Huge ways after praying it!