Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Peanut Butter Revelations

Last night as Jim and I were meandering over a late dinner after the girls had gone to bed, I noticed a blob of peanut butter on my plate. In true kid-fashion, I started dabbling in the peanut butter, something for which I would surely scold my children. First I made shapes, then spelled things in it, ultimately ending in a smooth ribbon. Just as I was done with my masterpiece creation, Jim reached over and stuck his dirty finger in my blob and messed it all up. Driven by internal compelling forces to make peace from chaos, I carefully smoothed it out once more. And again came the intruding finger.

This feels a bit like life this week. Driven to make a peaceful, smooth, yet effective paths, circumstances beyond my control come along and dip their messy fingers in my plans. You have weeks like that too, you say? This week, Kathryn has (three times!) broken out in a strange rash/red bumps, strange as it may seem, minutes before it's time to go to school. I'm not kidding. (As much as she struggles with school, I don't believe she could pull that off on purpose!) And in only 3 days time, I see how dependent I have become upon her being in school to maintain the delicate equilibrium of life in this culture. In addition to the normal errands undone (no bread or peanut butter in the cabinet), tonight we canceled fun dinner guests, and one of my dearest friends (whom I get to see about once a year!) is arriving for the weekend with her family (including her newborn) on our doorstep in 36 hrs. I can't bear the thought of sending them away from our possibly quarantined home.

"Ah-- but these are minor things", you say. "Can you not rise above your temporary circumstances and emerge joyful and triumphant"?? Sorry to disappoint-- I am a grouch.

"She opens her mouth in wisdom, and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue."
I would not be the poster child for this campaign this week.
Will you pray this for me??
If you let me know, I'll pray it for you, too!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

praying it, friend