Monday, October 08, 2007

More Thoughts for Molly Piper

Last week, (see below), I related a conversation that Kathryn and I had about a mother who had lost her baby. I have been chewing more this week, and wanted to add a few thoughts.

Firstly, a confession of sorts--the conversation didn’t go exactly as I quoted. It was more a summary of the conversation. The “hug” for Molly was Kathryn’s idea, and suggesting “Jesus will take care of you” was my addition originally.

Yet the purpose was to demonstrate something clear—Kathryn is a different person because of her sister Hannah, and Molly will discover the same for her children.

Why bother clarifying?

Firstly, so that I do not give you the wrong impression that I have a super-spiritual four year old who (or that I am one who!) floats on the clouds above the normal fears of life. Kathryn and I do have had tremendously fruitful conversations resulting from Hannah’s life, and yet Kathryn also struggles with fears of death, tragedy, and loss… don’t we all?

And secondly, because I felt almost right away that I wanted to retract my addition. Will Jesus take care of Molly and her family? Most certainly. But do I want to say that to her at this hour? Certainly from my own experience--No, I don’t. It is something for her to testify of her own story in the months and years to come. And so I think Kathryn’s first instinct is right-- hugs are best. Many tears, few words.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hmmm, thanks.