Thursday, October 11, 2007

On Soup, Clouds, and Ladybugs

It's a bit dangerous what you might write when you are feeling sick and a little loopy. I have spent the day sick in bed. Sinus head, sore throat, fevery, achy... It was a "good" day to be sick, because Jim was planning to spend the day with the girls today, though I certainly didn't accomplish my "to do" list for the day. Since Jim and I had a date planned, we still went out despite my better judgment. We tried a new soup restaurant (that sounded about all I could handle) but the "soup"--even to the sickly--tasted like weak water. We cut our losses and went across the street for some cheap noodles and headed for home 2 hrs. early. What I wouldn't give for a packet of Lipton's Chicken noodle soup right now! That and a glass of sprite is all I crave when I'm sick. Now since I spent most of the day lying aimlessly in bed, though I still feel lousy, I'm not sleepy either.

During my short snippet of sanity this afternoon, I read a bit more of a new book I'm enjoying, "Life Space", written by a former DTS professor and his colleague. This chapter was talking about looking for the divine breaking through in daily life. I walked over the window and looked down on the smog-filled streets. There was a blanket of haze covering the lower third of the atmosphere. No divine to be seen down there! So I plopped back down on the bed. And then I noticed that when I looked UP at the sky, there was actually some bits of blue breaking through the hazy clouds; even a twinge of pink on the way towards a hint of a sunset.

Then I remembered the lady bug. It's a shame that such an object of curiosity and affection couldn't have been captured on film. I caught sight of this tiny science project the other day when we were at the park. The girls were delighted and astounded by watching this tiny creature crawl up my arm, spread her wings and fly to freedom. Their priceless expressions of delight were of course more entertaining than our little lady bug friend.

Where have you seen pieces of His creative beauty in your daily routine this week?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

silly as it is, I'm kinda partial to His handiwork of my kiddos ears. they are so precious!