Friday, October 05, 2007

The Good that Winnie the Pooh Can Do

About a week ago, a young girl working at a tea house approached me and asked for my help. She told me a long story about how her mother and father sent her away (she is 16) , and how she is desperate to find another job, learn English, and be adopted by a foreign family. (I am thinking-- Does this girl really think that we could adopt her?) I wrestled with how to help her, because I have been in these situations before. A little something turns into a very-big something that spins out of control. So I prayed, and I talked with various friends. I decided "Start small. Under promise, over compensate." I decided to lend her one English children's book per week. I felt embarrassed when I was explaining to her that I didn't have time to personally meet with her. But when I handed her the book, she gave me an infectious smile, and then leaped across the table with a great big bear hug! Then she told me, "Not even my mother has ever been this kind." I gave her a $3 Winne the Pooh book. She gave me a heart-felt hug and a high compliment. I have a feeling I'll be telling you more about her in days to come.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

precious!