Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Being WITH

When I say "Lord, fill me with your Spirit,"

Do I mean "Lord, fix me so I won't struggle with _____ anymore!"

-or

Do I mean "Lord, fill me--more than anything I want to be with you."

It's good to know my struggles and desire to be changed, but if that's my end goal, He becomes a means to my comfort. The later says, "Yes, I'm a mess. You know this, yet you still want to be with me!?! Fantastic!!!"

I was thinking about this idea and did a basic search of passages that talk about Jesus being WITH. In a cursory search I found 58 different incidents--not repeats in different gospels, but unique times. Here's a short sampling...


Luke 1:28 And coming in, he said to her, "Greetings, favored one! The Lord is with you."




Mark 3:14 And He appointed twelve, so that they would be with Him and that He could send them out to preach.



Luke 24:14-15 While they were talking and discussing, Jesus Himself approached and began traveling with them.



John 3:22-23 After these things Jesus and His disciples came into the land of Judea, and there He was spending time with them and baptizing.



Matt 26:20 Now when evening came, Jesus was reclining at the table with the twelve disciples.



John 14:16-17, 22-24 "I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may be with you forever; 17 that is the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it does not see Him or know Him, but you know Him because He abides with you and will be in you. Jesus answered and said to him, " If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our abode with him.



John 17:24 "Father, I desire that they also, whom You have given Me, be with Me where I am, so that they may see My glory which You have given Me, for You loved Me before the foundation of the world.



Luke 22:14-16 When the hour had come, He reclined at the table, and the apostles with Him. 15 And He said to them, "I have earnestly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer;



Luke 23:42-43 And he was saying, "Jesus, remember me when You come in Your kingdom!" 43 And He said to him, "Truly I say to you, today you shall be with Me in Paradise."



Eph 2:3-6 But God, being rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, 5 even when we were dead in our transgressions, made us alive together with Christ ( by grace you have been saved), 6 and raised us up with Him, and seated us with Him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus.



1 John 1:3-4 what we have seen and heard we proclaim to you also, so that you too may have fellowship with us; and indeed our fellowship is with the Father, and with His Son Jesus Christ.



Rev 3:20-22 Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and will dine with him, and he with Me. 21'He who overcomes, I will grant to him to sit down with Me on My throne, as I also overcame and sat down with My Father on His throne.


Do I believe He primarily wants to fix me, or be with WITH me?

No comments: