Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Frazzled Adventures


If you come to Beijing, there are simply a few places that you simply must see. That's right--I'm talking about all those locations mentioned in "Ms. Frizzle's Adventures in China." For months when I read this book, the girls say "Mommy, when are you going to take us to the Emperor's Palace??" Monday was the day. If you should yourself make the trek, I have these bits of advise for you:

1. Do not take a double stroller.
2. Do not take the subway.
3. Do not take a 3 and 4 year old in a double stroller on the subway.

I'll try to spare you the details, but due to the subway adventure, we took the world's-fastest-tour-through-the-Forbidden-City- on-record. I asked my mom as we sped past, "Well, since you're not getting to see the buildings, do you at least feel like you are standing in one of the most famous places in the world?"

When we got home that night, Jim asked the girls what was their favorite part. Kathryn said, "We saw the princess treasures!" At first I had no idea what she was talking about. And then I remembered that in our rush, Kathryn stopped for an awe-struck moment in the front window of a tourist-trap jewelry store. All original pieces worn by the empress herself! Princess treasures indeed!

Emperor's Palace-- check! Ah, the joy of vacation memories :)

Stay tuned for more Ms. Frizzle's stops soon!

No comments: