Saturday, April 19, 2008

Sabbath Rest

This morning I was caught in the euphoria of a great book. I already mentioned it-- Christ Plays in 10,000 Places. Eugene Peterson has really done an excellent job here painting broad-stroking theological pictures of Christ as He relates to "real human stuff" like banana peels, laundry detergent, and "mommy, I couldn't wait for the potty!" In this section he unpacks the meaning of the Sabbath in the context of the completion of God's work week as well as ours. I had four more pages to finish the section when I got a phone call.

"Do you have such and such a book?"
"Yes, I have it."
"Could I come get it from you now?"
"Sure"
Looking for book...not finding book...call friend back...friend already left...where could book be?...Oh, I gave it to that other friend...call that friend...woke up that friend...friend is annoyed...Can you put the book outside your door...Sure but I don't want to...

Translation: Sabbath over.

How quickly we get pulled out of a Sabbath moment! And how much easier it is to read a chapter from a good book than cultivate heart rest. The kind of rest that reminds us the delight of being made in the image of God for His worship and delight.

Sabbath

The mind that comes to rest is tended
In ways that it cannot intend:
Is borne, preserved, and comprehended
By what it cannot comprehend.

Your Sabbath, Lord, thus keeps us by
You will, not ours. And it is fit
Our only choice should be to die
Into that rest, or out of it.

by Wendell Berry

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Webcam, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://webcam-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Love the poem. This is a season (mom of little children) of particular difficulty in quiet time to cultivate heart rest. As I think/type this, however, I think I'll always have an "excuse". What better time than the present to find a way... Would love to hear any suggestions!

Tracie said...

kristin-- it feels for me there are schedule issues and heart issues that make it hard to rest. The schedule ones are much easier; It's the heart ones that keep me reeling. How about you?