Sunday, March 30, 2008

Lovin on the Babies

First, a brief update...

I've been out of blogging this last week-- For one reason, I've been working on a post that just won't come out right. So I'm giving up on that one and moving on. Secondly, my parents are here! So we're busy visiting all those places that you just HAVE to go see if you come to China. And so many of them happen to be right here in our backyard!

One of those places that is not on anyone's top 10 list but was such a great experience for us this last week was a Chinese orphanage. If you've kept up for awhile, you remember a few months back when I mentioned I wanted to arrange a trip to visit the orphanage of our little friend Lily, a 3 year old girl we connected with at Christmas time. When I went to arrange the trip I found that we can't go see her...because she has been adopted! Kathryn started jumping up and down when I told her the news! :)

So this week we arranged a trip to visit a small orphanage that is near our home. It was clean, well kept, and the little ones were all well cared for and loved. And it was still heart-wrenching to see their sweet faces and imagine all the sorrow that brought them there. All of the children in this home are babies awaiting some kind of surgical procedure-- heart conditions, cleft palates... a few others I didn't know the words for. But a baby doesn't care what language you speak...as long as its the language of love.








































































Before we went, I wanted to prepare the girls for our time so they would not gawk or act strangely towards the children. And although there were a few times I was grateful that our hosts did not understand what my girls were saying, for the most part they both seemed to understand why we were there.

When Jim came home that night, he asked Ellie what we had done that day. She said "We were lovin on the babies, daddy." But don't let me give you the impression that we were the ones serving them, as it was most definitely mutual! A few moments with one of these little ones in your arms can steal you heart clean away.

No comments: