Thursday, March 08, 2007

Remember when...

Tonight, we had the pleasure of going out to dinner, not only without our children, but also with a fun young couple. (What does that make us?) After dinner we were rushing to make it home by the time we promised our sitter, while the newlyweds were heading for Starbucks. I had a moment of reminiscing with a twinge of jealousy-- I remember those days. Spending the afternoon together at the coffee shop studying together in seminary, or sleeping in on Saturdays, or spontaneously deciding to make a drive through the hill country. And then I remembered that every time I talk to older moms, they almost always tend to say with fervor and memories in their voices, "ENJOY those years when you are at home with your kids. They pass so quickly."

What is it about human nature that we always tend to long for what we don't have? Oh Lord, help me today to delight in the privilege of giggling and playing dress up with 2 & 3 year olds!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you made me cry! (sarah stares at me oddly as I read your comments outloud with tears...) then she questions, "Mrs. Wallace LIKES to play dress up?!" :)