Thursday, March 01, 2007

Heart Check

I have noticed a disturbing trend...

On certain weeks when I attend a mom's meeting, I can begin to feel sorry for myself. You see, I (making fun of myself here) have no full-time domestic helper (i.e., live-in maid), and I have no car, and my kids' international school education is not fully funded by my profitable company. And I can begin to feel... what is that feeling?? Hmmm. I think it's called JEALOUS.

But just when I begin to lose perspective, I ran into Na Ling last week. Remember my Cambodian friend? She came with the girls and I to visit a friend in the hospital, and afterwards invited us up to her apartment. Her earthly possessions would fit into a thimble, relatively. She has a mattress on the floor and a small desk and chair. Her clothes fit in a file box. She is a seminary student. She insists, despite her friends' insistence that life in Singapore is much more comfortable, that she is more needed in Cambodia. So, this May after her graduation, she's going back home.

The funny thing is that Kathryn and Ellie keep asking when we can go back to Na Ling's apartment because they thought it was grand fun to jump on her mattress.

When I see her life yet her joy, I remember the words of Jesus. "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven...For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i'm with ya, friend. my "wishings" have been for dental visits, maternity insurance, savings accounts for kids and vacations, no debt, etc. Silly. I know God has EVERYthing under control...I need not worry, fret, get jealous or envious because He has ALL resources at His disposal and He is my Heavenly Father who is the Giver of every good and perfect gift. I want to always be careful to Love the Giver and not the gifts.