Friday, August 05, 2011

Bringing It All Together 28: There Is One Healer (and It’s Not Me)

When I first started my counseling program, I remember feeling a bit shocked that our professors were talking to us right away as if we were counselors. They were, it seemed strange to me, assuming that we were shortly going to have real clients with real problems sitting in front of us one day.

I got used to that kind of talk, but that turns into reality here in a couple weeks once the girls go back to school. Real people seeking healing over real trauma, real suffering, real loss, real abuse, and real relational heartache. And that can feel a little bit overwhelming and a whole lot humbling. So I write these words for my own heart…

Remember, Tracie, before you walk into the room, that God is already working. It is not up to you. God alone is the healer, so you can boldly join with Him a moment when you know you don't have what it takes... and to remain confidant when all seems without hope.

Live in the present moment. Preparations, theories, class notes and case studies are good and helpful, and you need to learn some things. But when you walk into the room, throw away your script. Trust His Spirit within you to guide, reveal, and carry you in that moment. Trust your own heart, His image within you that enables you to relate, and His authorship of your own story by which you are being shaped. For He is answering that prayer you have long prayed, “Make me bold with strength in my soul.”

No comments: