Thursday, November 04, 2010

Deeper Still

Deeper Still

In the tears you gave to me

I found a river to an ocean

A concrete sky and a stone cold sea

That came to where the emptiness cracked open


And all my fears came crashing through

And met the fire of my sorrow

But I found my strength in forgiving you

I never even dreamed how far my heart could go




To give my life beyond each death

From this deeper well of trust

To know that when there's nothing left

You will always have what you gave to love




In this life, the love you give becomes

the only lasting treasure

And what you lose will be what you win

A well that echoes down too deep to measure




A silver coin rings down that well

You could never spend too much, a diamond echoes deeper still

And you'll always have what you gave to love,

You will always have what you gave to love


David Wilcox & Beth Nielsen Chapman, What You Whispered CD

David Wilcox gets something here about marriage. There is goodness in the struggle; the good marriage isn't primarily about joy and happiness and mutual pleasure, not that those things don't happen. But that's not the measure of a good marriage. He sees that we become fuller people as we give because we love. We are stretched beyond what we thought possible, even though there is a cost, and that it's worth it. Reread the lyrics again, thinking about marriage...

2 comments:

Robyn said...

Beautiful!!!! How are you finding all these songs??? You are speaking directly to my heart!

Tracie said...

I'm mostly stealing them from my marriage and family counseling class's website. He's taking us to the good stuff! :)