Sunday, February 21, 2010

For Lynn

My friend Lynn passed away today. She had battled cancer for over 2 years, but the last weeks of her life passed more quickly than anyone anticipated. 12 days ago, she was given 3-6 months to live. I wanted to write her and her husband a letter. It seemed I had awhile to do that, but the tone of her husband John's updates was feeling more immanent, and I felt I shouldn't wait. I wrote them a letter this morning and left it on my desktop to send when I got home from church today. When I logged on to send it, I learned that she died this morning. As a tribute to her life, I share their letter with you.

Dear John & Lynn,

I keep fumbling around for the right words to say to express my heart to you both. I think of you when I awake in the middle of the night and I am impressed to bring your faces to our Father throughout the day.


Our lives have been so sweetly touched by your care as our stories have intersected. You were as a rock to us in the storms of Singapore. The kind wisdom and words of encouragement to Jim in conflict, and to me as a young mom looking for my place, have been treasures to us. Our reconnections here in China as well have always been a joy to our souls. The girls will always remember you as the ones who brought them Cadbury chocolate eggs at Easter :) You are both so gifted by the Lord, cherishers of Life, mentors and cheerleaders for so many throughout the globe.


And even in this dark journey, your lives have been offering much guidance to me. I know you are weak and needy, but what exudes from you is His quiet confidence and courage. Lynn you have truly “Been Well While You’re Ill. As I was reflecting with the Lord this morning I realized something about your struggle. There is a good fighting for life, a "fighting the good fight", and another restless and ambivalent kind. You are fighting the good fight, but you are resting, resting, resting. And it is beautiful, and free. You are not resting in the hope of healing. You are trusting in the One who heals. There is a big difference.


Jim and I were watching The Two Towers last night. Sam’s words to Froto at the end of that movie seemed to me a picture of your struggle.


“I can’t do this Sam.”


“I know. It’s all wrong, by rights we shouldn’t even be here. But we are. It’s like in the great stoires, Mr. Froto. The ones that really matter. Full of darkness and danger they were. And sometimes you didn’t want to know the end, because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end, it’s only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when it shines, it will shine out the clearer. Those are the stories that stay with you; that meant something. Even if you were too small to understand why. I think Mr. Froto, I do understand. Folk in those stories had lots of chances to turn back only they didn’t. They kept going. Because there were holding onto something.”


“What are we holding onto Sam?”


“That there’s some Good in this world, Mr. Froto, and it’s worth fighting for.”


You are treasured by the One who is good. Thank you for fighting the fight, dear friends, with restful hearts. Praise to Him who enables and strengthens and holds you fast. We know, it is Him.


With love and gratefulness,

Tracie


No comments: