Thursday, September 24, 2009

Something to Ponder...

“What greater thing can a thing do than what that thing was designed to do?”

This phrase I wrote in my journal some 14 years ago. (It wasn't my quote, but I'm not sure WHO said it...) When I came across it this week, I stopped to ponder for awhile...

There's a general sense in which we are all created for the same purpose-- to worship God. Peoples of all nations praising Him around His throne, right?

But then there's a specific sense in which we were uniquely designed to reflect Him in certain ways distinct from others. We are His masterpiece, created in Him for good words, which He prepared in advance for us to walk in, yes? But that process of knowing yourself and the uniqueness He has placed in you... well, that feels like a lifetime discovery process.

So I'm curious-- please share-- as far as you understand it now, what were you uniquely designed for? I don't mean "what is your ideal job" or "what great accomplishments do you want to achieve?"... just how has He made you reflect Himself uniquely? Come on now, don't be shy, (there aren't THAT many people who follow this blog!), I'd love to hear. And if you're like me, and you don't have that totally figured out yet, well then you can encourage me too!

2 comments:

Robyn said...

I agree whole heartedly with what you wrote. We are designed uniquely, to reflect him, in various ways, like pieces of a mosaic. I also agree that it is a life long process. I still often think- I cannot believe how old I am, I still sometimes feel like I'm still a teenager, or young adult inside, and yet so much has changed, in many ways. Does that make sense? I think part of what he's given me to reflect back to him, is through my voice- singing for him, and also through writing. I love to write, and am hoping that it reflects glory to Him, and helps others along the way. Although, I'm not entirely sure on that one! :)

Gina Marie said...

Good post Tracie! Would love to sit down and talk with you more about this. I've given this some thought myself, trying to form a sort of mission statement in my head that drives my actions. I think for me it is something like "communicating what I know and have experienced of God to others in a way that makes an impact." Whether that's through writing, speaking, creating, it depends on the situation.