Sunday, September 06, 2009

On Beauty and Noses

An assessment test I took this summer said that I crave nature like a car needing gas. Not like a car that needs an occasional oil change but could really go another 100 miles.

This is a challenge in our home. I'm not the only one who thinks so... Kathryn told me recently, "Mom, it's so... so... UGLY here." Many days I feel I can't argue with her.

To be fair, this city DOES have some amazing scenes... exquisitely landscaped parks, mountains to the north and west... We just don't happen to live near any of these. Here is a smoggy winter view from our bedroom window, just to make my point:













But just as I discovered in our mountain cabin vacation, natural beauty isn't just about striking landscapes. It's also found on a smaller scale, IF you are watching for it.

Last weekend, we went to a Chinese/Western wedding. With a Chinese bride and an American groom, it was a fun mix of traditions. After the wedding as we waited for the reception to begin, a gaggle of little girls (of which my daughters were active participants) collected bouquets of berries and white roses while they practiced proceeding up and down the aisle. We brought the roses home to display, and over the week they have slowly wilted and dried out. I've almost thrown them out about 4 times, but I cannot bring myself to do it. Why, you ask? Why would I keep a dilapidated bunch of roses in a tin coffee cup?


















They SMELL incredible. If you close your eyes and breathe in deeply, your senses come alive! Throw in a little imagination, and you are back at the wedding, or tiptoeing through a delicate rose garden... am I getting carried away? What a wonder, that He gave us silly things like noses, to delight in the world He has made.

Is it a challenge for you to find beauty in your home too? Keep your eyes (and noses) peeled and share with me what you find! (Or if you live in a really beautiful place, you can tell me about that too. I'll try not to be jealous.)

3 comments:

Gina Marie said...

Have you considered getting a car? That's how we plan to satisfy Erik's off the chart outdoor need (that and living where we do). We've been amazed this summer at what is nearby and easy to enjoy if you have a car. Granted, it would be nicer to look out and see it from your window instead of having to drive to it, but it's there!

Tracie said...

I thought it might be you who would comment on this Gina :) Have you guys found a car yet? Last I heard you were still looking...

Robyn said...

I agree!!! I miss the beauty of Colorado, and Delaware! I miss lots of green grass, trees, mountains, lakes, rivers, etc. It is so hard to find that in our neighborhood. Let's try to get out more and visit some of the cool parks in our city. It will be a trek, but it does feed the soul. We really enjoyed Longtan Park. There are some others I'd love to see!