Thursday, September 17, 2009

On Snickerdoodles and Other Comforts

We’ve had trouble with our oven lately. We’ve used it without incident for 2 years, but all of a sudden, the breaker trips when we turn the oven on. So, speaking of being a self-made electrician (see previous post), I called our “wu ye” guy to come fix it.

He asked me, “So, when you turn this on, the breaker trips?”

“Yes.”

“Well then don’t turn it on.”

It's not that I believed he had gotten to the bottom of it... (since I am, after all, such an expert at this subject); it's just that I don't use the oven that often.

But tonight, since Jim just left town, I needed cookies. Before I knew the oven wouldn’t work, I made snickerdoodle dough that has since been waiting in the freezer.

So I thought, perhaps the oven would work in another room? I hauled it into the bedroom, along with my cookie sheet and 4 dough balls. I told myself I might save 2 for tomorrow, but Lord knows I had every intention of eating all four.

Lo and behold, the oven works in the bedroom. I could go on about how heavy the oven was, and how steaming the bedroom can get at 375. But I would be selling a sob story... it was worth every effort.

So I already ate my four cookies as I watched an episode of CSI Miami, and Horatio has yet to disappoint me.

My hubby may be gone, and I might need to haul my oven into the bedroom to bake cookies. But Horatio and snickerdoodles make for a pretty decent evening.

For those with traveling spouses, do tell--what are your 'comfort activities'??

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Pookie,

Have you been weight-lifting on the sly? An entire oven! Alas, I am aware of your appliances and still marvel at the inventive nature. Have another snicker-doodle on me.

We love you all,
Pags

meh said...

It is so rare an occasion when Darril travels that what is fun for me may not count. But I do watch "my" shows and eat "my" kind of food and stretch across the entire bed, grateful that in a matter of days he will be back home. I usually have some major project (cleaning a closet, etc.) that is my goal to finish before he comes home. Sometimes it gets finished, sometimes it doesn't but somehow it helps the time go by.

Robyn said...

Still trying to figure out what my favorite things are. I do tend to eat more junk food, when BJ is gone- eat out more, etc. Just don't feel like cooking when he's not around! I am now probably going to eat too much birthday cake that is left over from BJ's party! Yikes! And watch a bunch of chick flicks.

Robyn said...

BTW- I love your story, about making cookies in the bedroom- hilarious! :) A woman's gotta do what a woman's gotta do! :)

Tracie said...

OK, just to set the record straight... the oven really only weighs about 10 pounds.