Friday, August 28, 2009

Beautiful Words

We arrived in one piece (well, 12 pieces actually...4 people, 8 bags) late on Saturday night, almost a week ago. Our trip was fairly smooth. We discovered that if you sit in row 65, you are so far in the back that there is no business class jealousy since you can't even catch glimpse of anyone up there.

Shortly after the start of our journey I discovered that although I had packed our "activity/goody" bag quite strategically for the girls, I had failed to include a single book for mom. So during our stopover in Detroit, I picked up a copy of the Shack at the airport Barnes & Noble. I know the rest of the world read it 2 years ago, but I'm just getting around to it. It was the perfect on-the-plane book.

Despite the oft-discussed theological quandaries in the novel, I found some deliciously vibrant phrases and word pictures that arrested my imagination...

..."Mack never talks about him much, but when he does his face loses emotion like a tide going out, leaving dark and lifeless eyes."

..."The shack itself looked dead and empty, but as he stared it seemed for a moment to transform into an evil face, twisted in some demonic grimace, looking straight back at him and daring him to approach."

..."Mack could almost feel her words rain down on his head and melt into his spine, sending delicious tingles everywhere."

..."As the word echoed in the chamber, panic rose inside Mack like a swelling tide and slowly he sank into his chair. Instantly he felt guilty as memories spilled through his mind like rats feeling the rising flood."

This has reminded me afresh of the beauty of words... the way you say things does make a difference. Our words can open windows to the imagination, stir a well of deep emotion, or spark inspiring creativity. What a creative God, who has given us language as a tool with endless combinations for communication!

I agree (I imagine some of you are thinking...) sometimes there is just not enough time or energy to attempt to think or write this way. But we can at least occasionally soak ourselves in the writings of others who do it well!

What mind-capturing phrases have you read lately? What authors or books have inspired your creativity or stirred your heart?

2 comments:

Robyn said...

I have been wanting to read the Shack, too. May I borrow it when you are done? Sounds like it is some interesting reading! Glad your trip back went smoothly!

Tracie said...

Sure friend. I'm on the last chapter.