Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Rocky Mountain National Park

My parents came up to visit us here in Fort Collins a couple of weeks ago (still catching up!) and our first stop was Rocky Mountain National Park. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, the mountains. I'm not as much a beach gal. Whenever I have a chance to be in the mountains, it's like it opens a window in my soul. I'm not exaggerating! :) 10 years ago in April, we honeymooned here. We even stopped by the Sunnyside Cottages on the outskirts of Estes Park where we stayed. We had a "moment" there in the parking lot, but so much had changed that I barely recognized the place.

For some reason, Nana & Pags didn't make it much in this set of pictures, but I'll post more later this week...














Long's Peak seen from Bear Lake













It was a GORGEOUS DAY!



















Picnic on the rocks...















After my children ignored the signs-- "Please do not feed the animals", I had to snap this pic. This little guy looked like he was really comfortable with Pringles, and was livin' the good life among the picnickers at the Park. (I don't have a super-close lens-- I was really that close!)












Here is the Alluvial Fan created by a massive flood in 1982. I swear that there was no water here 10 years ago. Just rocks. They must have re-routed the lake water above it, or I'm totally losing my mind.






































I'm really NOT posting these to make my China friends jealous! :) It is a huge challenge, a test of your creative juices and insight, to enjoy nature in our China home. So I'm breathing in ALL the clean air I can, and locking all of these images to keep in my mind!




























What are some of the beauties of creation you are enjoying this summer?

3 comments:

Gina Marie said...

I have to say that living in Bi Shui has left me not as jealous as I might have been about your Rocky Mountain trip! We are really enjoying the freedom to let the kids run around in the complex, and I am about to go run along the canal which is just beautiful in the morning. We hope to get out to Fragrant Hills soon - my parents come next week so maybe we'll do it then! But I'm glad you're all having a great time there in CO. Wish we were there too!

Tracie said...

Hi Gina! I know you're so glad to be back. When we went to the Higgins' place this Spring I was surprised how pretty it felt. For 2 years, I've just missed the red leaves at Fragrant Hills... determined to hit it right on time this year. We'll be back mid-August... hope to see you soon!

meh said...

I am just catching up with your blog again. The pictures are so great and it sounds like your family is having a really nice visit.

-Marie