Thursday, July 09, 2009

Inside My Heart

I don’t always understand what makes for a day like yesterday (teary, no ability to concentrate, self-condemning thoughts) as opposed to a day like today (alert, thinking on Jesus & enjoying his beauties.) And to be honest, I think I often tend to question your care as I cry out with no seeming response, on days like yesterday.

But I think I need to be careful not to interpret my feelings and experience as an accurate commentary on your care.


Human emotions, hormones, tiredness, insecurities, sin, vision darkened by concern of others’ opinions… all these things, it would seem, obscure my ability to accurately perceive what you are doing in my heart on any given day or through any particular struggle. And yet, growth in the gospel means an increasing freedom from those things that blind me. And this SHOULD lead to an increasing experience of joyful emotions and responses.


So it seems I teeter between these two truths—


You hold me securely in the palm of your hand, whether I feel it or not.


Yet, when I do not feel it, it is part of your growth process for me, a good struggle, to wrestle with that and seek to discover why not.


Thus, says Howard Hendricks, “Balance is the ability to swing at the right times between extremes.”


To “know Thyself” is crucial and a vital part of our journey. But to “know Thy God” … infinitely better.

3 comments:

JWM said...

Tracie,

I really appreciate this post. I, too, teeter between the two things you so eloquently described... and still so often and so much... and so recently (like today, in fact, today being the weepy day).

Thanks for sharing. Thinking of you guys :)

jenny martin

Tracie said...

Great to hear from you, Jenny! Are you guys still in Dallas? How is life as a mommy for you now? :)

Robyn said...

Tracie,

I've really enjoyed reading your blog. Thank you for sharing this intimate glimpse into your heart. I often feel these same feelings and have those same thoughts. I appreciate what you shared about not focusing on those days as much, and realizing that God still does care for us, even on the hard days. I feel like I've had a lot of those this summer. Love to you!