Saturday, February 16, 2008

Popcorn, Fireworks, and Time for Bed

This is one of those posts that I will probably later delete because it's too late and I have nothing particular on my mind. But let me continue.

I'm sitting here with a dwindling bowl of popcorn where all of the best buttery-salty pieces have already been culled through. The remaining kernels look far too healthy to waste the calories on, especially when you're not the slightest bit hungry. And yet I keep picking. Another big no-no is typing at the computer with sticky-buttery-salty-hands. My kids would get in big trouble for this.

In the background, there are perpetual rounds of battlefield noises--the sonic boom of Chinese New Year fireworks, only slightly masking the hum of my husbands' snoring in the bedroom. Chinese New Year began on February 7th and runs for 2 weeks. The 'big fireworks' days are 1, 5, and 15. But living slightly outside the city's fireworks restricted areas, our neighbors didn't get the memo. I'm amazed there haven't been more accidents. But it probably has something to do with everything being made from concrete, and just about no grass anywhere. And living on the 8th floor with an open field across our building, we've had front-row tickets for each night's display.

A few nights ago we decided we needed to participate. So we pitched in with some friends to buy some of our own. I couldn't believe how expensive they were! We bought one big box, the contents of which lasted about 30 seconds, and spent about $60 US. Kathryn and Ellie decided they like them a lot more while watching out their bedroom window.

On a celebratory note, Ellie is, somewhat officially, potty trained. Only one accident this entire week. This feels the end of an era... I'm not sure how I plan to spend the liquidated assets... probably on more butter and salt for my tasteless popcorn. You see? I better just go to bed.

No comments: