Friday, February 22, 2008

Last Day of Chinese New Year

Chinese New Year began on February 7th, 2 days before we came back from Thailand. SO we missed the major onslaught of fireworks on the front end of CNY. But lucky for us, it lasts for 15 days, so yesterday we got to witness the end of the celebration. It was unlike any Fourth of July scene I'd ever been to. I don't quite have the right adjective for it.

I tried to take pictures, but pictures of fireworks just don't do justice. The camera just can't capture the depth and color of the human eye! (And my husband was quick to point out that my photography skills might also have something to do with it.)

We went out to dinner that night, and as we were walking home, we witnessed no fewer than 6 major fireworks displays going off in all directions. I'm not joking. I'm not talking about kids with sparklers. I'm talking about huge-sonic boom-fire department caliber displays! It felt that if you closed your eyes, you would surely be convinced you were in the middle of major battle and should run for cover! This went on from sunset till about midnight.

I told my helper the next day that in the US, individuals can't set fireworks off like this in the city. I thought that perhaps since all the buildings are made of concrete (no wood!) and there is very little GRASS of any kind to set on fire, that maybe it is a bit safer here. She said-- "Oh, no it's dangerous here too! The papers have been full of stories of buildings setting on fire and people blowing their limbs off." Not much I could say to that! Thankfully no injuries that we witnessed. Just really cool explosions! :)

2 comments:

meh said...

Your photography may not do them justice, but it still looks pretty amazing. So does everyone ooh and ahh over there like they do here?

Tracie said...

Yes there were big crowds!