Thursday, February 21, 2008

Glorious Moment of Sibling Affection

"PLEASE, Lord-- They are driving me CRAZY! PLEASE you've GOT to make them FRIENDS!"

Just in case you had some crazy notion that our kids were different from other kids...

It feels like truly tedious work to get my children to SPEAK to one another in a kind manner when they want something from the other. Is it ludicrous to think that maybe you could train them to be FOR each other -- to actually give a toy away, just to be kind? I'm sure the arguments get more complex at as they get older. But at age 3 and 4, really there's just a lot of yelling involved.

I usually don't expect such immediate results when I pray... but today I did witness one of the sweetest little moments I think my girls have ever shared.

I walked into their room and they were sitting in Kathryn's bed with their respective special blankies and dollies.
"Whatcha doing"? I asked.
"We're spending special snuggle time together, mom."
Kathryn was 'reading' one of Ellie's favorites to her, "Birthday for Frances"

This is an ironic selection because, if you've read it lately, it's about how Frances deals with jealousy over her little sister's upcoming birthday party. Guess whose little sister just had a birthday.

It was really sweet.
Of course I grabbed the camera.














(Yes, Ellie loves to wear that thing on her head.)

To bring me back to reality, this glorious moment of sibling affection was quickly ousted by vehement debate over the purple tutu. But it was great while it lasted.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

how precious! i love that reading scene! we love getting Frances books from the library. i know how priceless it is to have siblings at peace with one another and actually Enjoying each other is sooo great!
-wendy

meh said...

How fun that you have the Frances books too. They, along with Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, were favorite childhood books!