Tuesday, July 11, 2006

This Child is Ready to Use the Potty

All right, that does it, no more diapers for Kathryn…as soon as we get home! This is the kind of entry that she would die of embarrassment when she’s 13, but I doubt this blog thing will really stay around for that long.

If any of you have been around us much lately, you know that potty training has been a major ordeal with Kathryn. This otherwise brilliant child has been completely resistant to any suggestion of giving up her beloved diapers, at least until kindergarten. Just after she turned 3, (since she knew that big 3 year old girls used the potty), she told me, “Mommy, I am a big girl, but not a really big girl. So maybe I’ll use the potty when I’m 5 years old.”

Truth be told, the first time Kathryn used the potty, (a fluke though it may have been) was at 18 months. Shortly before Ellie was born, she showed an interest, we bought a potty, and wallah!, we had tee-tee. But everyone said “Don’t try to potty-train when you have a new baby.” “Don’t try potty training when you’re moving.” “Don’t try potty training when there is any major change in your home.” So facing all of the above, we put the potty away. A big mistake, I’m afraid!

Now, I've realized that if I wait for a time in our lives where there is no travel, no change or "newness", then she truly will be 5 before she is diaper-free. But this dialogue has caused mommy to draw a line in the sand.

“Kathryn, do you need to go poo-poo?”

“Uh-huh.”

“Oh, great! Let’s go sit on the potty!”

“No thanks. I want to go in my diaper.”

(A minute passes.)

“Kathryn, are you done going potty?”

“No, there’s more coming. Don’t worry mommy, I’ll tell you when I’m done.”

(Another minute)

“Kathryn, are you done now?”

“Not yet…See, mommy, first comes the poo-poo, and then comes the tee-tee that makes it all wet…See, here it comes!... Ok, mommy, all done! You can change my diaper now!”

I know you'll want an update, so don't worry, I'll keep you posted.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

okay, laughing out loud hysterically! that is too funny. Kathryn is clearly well beyond her years... but you knew that of course! :) that kiddo is a crack up!

Tracie Wallace said...

thats mean wendy and mommy!!!