Thursday, July 13, 2006

Potty Update

You're dying to know, about Kathryn, aren't you?? Today was the day. I woke up and decided we can't wait till we get home. I walked in her room and said "Kathryn, today--no more diapers." Kathryn in all her drama, upon the announcement, replied “Oh, mommy, that makes me really sad.” But I must grant her that diapers have been with her for her entire life, so it might be some kind of traumatic event to part with them. But she is more than ready. This has been a long time in coming. Then she asked me if she could help me throw them away. So, that’s what we did. (I later recovered them of course.) We saved one for nap time and bedtime, but as far as she knows, no more diapers her size exist in the world.

At breakfast (7:30) she drank all her apple juice, an orange juice box, and some sprite. So it HAS to come out, right? So I keep waiting. 8:30, 9, 9:30, 10… still claiming she doesn’t need to go. Another 30 minutes, and she says her tummy hurts. I bet it did, holding all that in! At 10:45, she sat down and started going tee-tee. I’m not joking—she went for the next 30 minutes, a tablespoon at a time. She got a big kick out of emptying the potty each time. All of this tells me that she has extremely good bladder control, because she could hold it, and could also go a small bit at a time. So this morning went well!

So, between all the juice and sprite, reward treats, and the half a jar of jelly she ate while I was washing the dishes at lunch time, how many grams of sugar do you think she has consumed today?? Tee-tee in the potty makes it all worthwhile.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

SO funny, Trac! way to go Kathryn (and Mommy, for her patience with all this tee-tee drama!)

Anonymous said...

This is too funny! You write it all so well. They really are amazing, aren't they, children?! Honestly, sometimes I think it was easier when Drew was in diapers. Then I didn't have to take lots more time going to a store restroom or even pull off the road while driving somewhere so he can go. The $$ savings is nice, though. ;-) Good going!