Wednesday, July 05, 2006

These Things I Love About China...

*This morning, after dropping Kathryn off with a friend, I came home and broke the key off in our door. After a brief moment of panic I went to the gate guard, and he called a locksmith. "It'll be 4 mintues." I braced myself for a long wait. Really it was only about 10. Within 30 minutes, and a mere $10 later, I was back inside. Can't beat that!

*Being a Texan, I have to mention this. Right outside our back gate in this city, there is a wonderful yet unusual sight-- "Peter's Tex-Mex Grill." I'm not kidding. And you know, it's not that bad. The best part is, the most expensive thing on the menu, fajitas, is $6. No, I take that back. The best part is the chocolate-peanut butter milkshakes. No, truly, the best part is free delivery!

*Although this desire for Mexican food will always be with me no matter where I live, I can say since we’ve returned that even Singapore is a poor (albeit expensive!) substitute for real Chinese food. As I was talking about hopes for connecting Kathryn to the culture, a wise friend suggested that I try to do this through food. Why didn’t I think of that?? So winding my way through the Chinese grocery store, I decided to go for the Chinese snacks rather than your typical crackers. Now, she loves red bean paste buns. Better than that, she keeps asking for more yummy Chinese treats. Thanks, Ann, it’s working!

More to come…

No comments: